Hello Peter

But we're not talking about water in diesel. A water mist injection
into the air intake, yes, but the water in the fuel side of it
concerns water dissolved in a biodiesel-ethanol blend. There's no
free water content, it's dissolved. With biodiesel, there's not
likely to be any lack of lubricity in the upper cylinder area no
matter how much ethanol is used, and microorganisms don't seem to be
a problem with biodiesel. There's no need for harsh solvents,
biodiesel does a good job of cleaning out all the gunge in the tank
etc in the first couple of weeks. Harry was talking of a 10% ethanol,
10% water, 20% biodiesel, 60% petrodiesel blend using an emulsifier -
again, no free water. The EPA report referred to details 23 studies
of water-fuel emulsions - petrodiesel, yes, but emulsified: no free
water.

"Following is a list of studies that are being considered for
inclusion in work being done by EPA to assess the effects of
water-fuel emulsions on emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx),
hydrocarbons (HC), and particulate matter (PM)."
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/models/analysis/emulsion/emulbibl.pdf

The French ACREVO study found this:

It has been established that an addition of 9 % of ethyl alcohol (95
%) bring a great benefit regarding the pre-heating oil temperature.
In fact, the presence of alcohol allows a reduction in the inlet oil
temperature from 150 ¡C to 80 ¡C. Moreover, the combustion of the
emulsion produces less soot and, at the exhaust, the amount is almost
one half less than that produced by the combustion of rapeseed oil.
http://www.nf-2000.org/secure/Fair/F484.htm

It seems water, one way or the other or both, will give combustion
and emissions improvements which could be considerable, especially
with an ethanol blend.

Best

Keith

>I have been reading with interest the subject of water injection for
>diesels.
>Further to Marc's comments I would like to add the following ........ 5%
>water in diesel will damage the fuel pump and injectors by replacing the
>lubricating properties of the diesel, diesel from your local supplier can
>have up to 3% free water before it gets to your tank. Add to that a daily
>change of ambient temperature of 7û F or more, causing condensation inside
>your fuel tank and you can get over the 5%, most of which can settle out if
>not disturbed and create another problem of Micro Organisms growing in your
>tank.
>Over the years many 'additives' have been flogged to combat water, micro
>organisms, and system cleaning. The main product used to combat water has
>been various alcohols. There are several problems with using alcohols,
>firstly it breaks the water up into different size particles which can still
>reunite in the fuel system and cause damage, a good example of this is
>collecting in the injector tips, turning into steam with enough force to
>blow the end off the injector. Excess alcohol in the diesel can also leed to
>lubricating problems in the upper cylinder area and increased cylinder
>temperatures, this over time can cause piston cracking. Adding alcohol has
>no effect for control or eliminating micro organisms. A harsh solvent called
>'toluene', used mainly in paints, is used to clean fuel systems which in
>very dirty systems will cause filter blocking and low power. It will also
>damage rubbers, nylons and other plastics which are found in todays fuel
>systems.
>I am not against fuel treatments (as opposed to additives), water injection
>or other technologies. If water was to be injected into the air intake
>stream, then there would have to be some way to shut off the injection prior
>to shutting down the engine to prevent cylinder corrosion. Also injection
>would have to be after the turbo charger (if fitted) to prevent the likely
>hood of damage to the impellor.
>Hope my experience and knowledge was of benefit to you all.
>regards
>Peter

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!