I'm going to get into trouble here but hey it's the truth we're after
right?
I read the paper on genetically modified vegetable oil and determined
the following:
1) The oil in question was derived by an "enhanced" mutation method.
To me this means that it was not genetically engineered as it did not
involve the inclusion of "foreign" genes. This is more than just nit
picking, I wrote a couple of papers on the management of genetic
drift in tissue culture, normally you work your butt off to reduce
the mutation rate but occassionally you do the opposite. An example
was the "creation" of a salt tolerant Eucalypt from tissue culture
that now is used to lower salty water tables in the management of
dryland salinity. Simply allow or enhance the natural tendency of
material to mutate in culture and add salt to the media to select for
tolerance.
Having said that even within the 'natural' forms of plant mutation
the creation of a problem plant can occur.
The point is that this method is strictly within the realm
of "traditional" plant breeding--not genetic engineering.
2) The paper did suggest that its purpose was to give genetic
engineers information as to the direction they should take.
3) To me the paper shows that breeding and selection can produce
field crop vegetable oils with lower chain length FAs from the
existing gene pools relying on natural variations alone. As
biodieselers that would be enough. The same tissue culture techniques
as produced the high yield Palm oil varieties could achieve similar
results for tree crops. It's a matter of what research is funded.
One thing that concerns me is the statement that transesterification
to "biodiesel" was expensive. When compared with the costs of
refining vegetable oils by degumming, neutralisation, bleaching etc.,
the cost of transesterifying raw oils is not; or should not be;
excessive. Steve Hobbs has shown that the transesterification (with
washing)of raw oil effectivelty removes the contaminants.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> --
> David Preskett, BSc (Hons.), AIWSc
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> Recycling - not a chore more a way of life
>
> University of Wales
> BioComposites Centre
> Deiniol Road
> Bangor