There's a JS called Easel you might like to look at. I had exactly the same
questions. It looks to me like Easel is trying to make Canvas have the same
capabilities as SVG. Why? I think, as you suggest, any browser that has Canvas
support also has some level of SVG support. Why try to give Canvas SVG-like
features when SVG already has them? Very puzzling.