Jim Leonard boldly stated:

>"Lee K. Seitz" wrote:
>>
>> You might want to be wary of the acid in the bags.  They could harm
>> the boxes after some years of storage.  (OTOH, there's enough acid in
>> the boxes themselves to cause them to deteroirate over time anyway, so
>> it may not make much difference.)
>
>I like to tuck the thought of boxes themselves containing acid safely away in
>my mind for several years at a time, but occaisionally comments like this
>remind me of the inevitable.  Has anyone heard of a way to stop this process?
>I dread the day my boxes are as faded as storefront-window display boxes :-(

De-acidifying paper is a very expensive process, IIRC.  And the
problem with boxes is probably not the paper so much as the glue used
to hold them together.  I tend to tuck the thought away, too.

As for the faded display boxes, I believe that's more from sunlight
than anything else.  Sunlight and fluorescent lights are the worst for
making things fade.  I haven't read the whole document, but I think
you might be able to glean some preservation tips from
http://lcweb.loc.gov/preserv/presfaq.html.

--
Lee K. Seitz  *  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *  http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/
Wanted:                     |   Visit the Classic Video Games Nexus