Pedro Quaresma wrote:

> > You never had to configure anything in Windows? Reduce a bit your sound
> > card acceleration? Tweak around with your gfx card settings?
>
> >What the heck is "reducing sound card accleration?"
>
> Hmmm. I remember a slide bar somewhere about the sound card... maybe it was
> some completely different thing.

I have never, ever had to do that.  What the heck is wrong with your
system?  ;-)  I say that with a wink because, sometimes, the user does
nothing wrong and it still flakes out.  But you can say this for any
post-1990 OS/hardware combo anyway.

> >I only tweak GFX if I'm trying to overclock and get better performance
> >:)
>
> How many times have you had to uninstall your regular drivers, because the
> newer nVidia's were faster, and then uninstalled your nVidia's because the
> older nVidias were even faster, and then uninstalled those and installed
> GLSetup because the old nVidias were incompatible with game X that you love
> so much... well, been there, done that.

Well, maybe you should've stuck with the original drivers.  There's a
reason they only officially release drivers twice a year.  You aren't
blaming this on the user or the OS, are you?

> >It is not "way" faster.  I don't consider 3-5fps "way" faster.
>
> 3-5? We had managed to get more than that.

Then you have a broken setup or you're doing something wrong.  In games
where the rendering pipeline is 85% of the total gameslice *and* are
hardware-assisted *and* the hardware assist is the same library (OpenGL)
*and* the API for both platforms is provided by the same company
(nVidia), there is no way Linux is going to be "way" faster.

> > in Windows. Better yet, Quake 2 for Windows on a Windows emulator in
> Linux
> > is faster than Quake 2 in Windows! Interesting, isn't it?
>
> >In software rendering, yes.  But people don't play Q2 in software.
>
> Nevertheless, it was interesting to compare.

So is running Windows in an emulator that itself is running in Windows,
but I don't see the usefulness of it.

> >Okay, are we done arguing about which OS is better than the other for
> >gaming?  It's a pointless argument.  Consoles whip all computer
> >platforms anyway since they never crash and never have compatibility
> >issues.
>
> Consoles never crash? What's this that I hear everywhere about the XBox on
> exposition on the different Toys'r'us around USA reading randomly from the
> "CD drive", failing to output any sound, stopping abruptly with error
> messages, etc?

At no point did I promote the X-Box as a good console.  Come up with
*ANY* other report of a console crashing (NOT x-box).

> > won't crash. In the worst possible event, X will crash but not the OS, so
>
> >And that's acceptable?
>
> Well, I prefer the X to crash (and even so it happens with less frequency
> than Windows crashes) than a complete OS crash. Just "startx" and you're
> back on.

But you still lose data.  Your argument is really "well, it's faster to
restart X then it is to reboot a hung winbox".  One is not better than
the other.

> >I'm just saying you should choose your battles wisely.  If you were
> >arguing for Linux as a server OS, I'd roll out the red carpet and step
> >aside. But gaming isn't one of those platforms you should debate on.
>
> I still don't understand why not, but nevermind. I have this stable OS that
> has the same potentiality as this other unstable OS. In the very least it's
> as good to run games as the other.

Hey, I can lament for years why the Dreamcast didn't succeed but that
doesn't change the current state of things :-)
--
http://www.MobyGames.com/
The world's most comprehensive gaming database project.