From: "Jim Leonard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Actually, it makes perfect sense to reinvent these things since one of
> the whole points of consoles is to keep costs down so that you can make
> money on the hardware.

I'm not sure... you have to remember that reinventing stuff costs a lot of
R&D dollars.  I'm willing to wager that the Xbox was relatively cheap to
design, with specs changing up to the last minute, whereas with a regular
console, everything has to be made specially for that machine and is fixed
early in development, which creates obsolete technology issues.So if you
save a ton on R&D then you can take a bigger hit on the actual machine sale.

>You can add these things to any new console
> design.

I started thinking about this yesterday... what more can you add to a
console other then a few little graphic tweaks these days?  I mean, in the
days of 2D consoles, you could add something like a Mode 7 chip, which
allowed pseudo-3D and the like, this was a huge innovation, but now that
everythign is done in true 3D, you could add lighting hardware and the like,
and improve the sound, but there really is nothing beyond just "more power".
It seems like we've reached that point with console development.... it's
just like pc's in that you are wondering how many polys you can manipulate.

>That travesty of pricing is what happens when you
> combine licensing with the high cost of hardware (the carts use up to
> 32MB of ROM, which is very expensive in terms of manufacturing and
> materials).

I laughed at my friends who paid exorbatant prices for SNES and N64 games
that cost more then 50 bucks... I just can't see that kind of highway
robbery.

> I'm curious:  Why do you think consoles were getting bogged down by not
> having internal hard drives?

Saved game data primarily (I hate save points that require you to redo
stuff).  But also from a gameplay standpoint, it's getting harder to make
games that look good and fit into system memory.  Load times are becoming
truly a pain in the butt in many games (especially on PS2) and the problems
were only going to get worse with the next generation of consoles.  The
harddrive, if used right, and I doubt the first generation of xbox titles
will do that, is going to make these games easier to deal with and eliminate
the loading times that console users used to make fun of (cause carts didn't
have them).

> Regarding X-Box as being "the most powerful":  A very strong argument
> can be made for console hardware being less powerful on paper but more
> powerful when specifically used for gaming.

I agree wholeheartedly, that's why you will see great looking games on xbox
that will run much better than they would on a 753mhz pc.  But that has
largely to do with lack of OS overhead, lower resolutions (really a MAJOR
factor when you think about it... how fast does Q3 run at 640X480 vs.
1024X768?) and simplified codesets.  I'm not advocating making consoles that
are little pcs, but that there are certain extras in a pc which console
gaming could really use.  The ability to network consoles is great (I
remember playing networked WipeoutXL on the old PS1, it was  blast) and the
harddrive, when used right will add a whole new dimension to the games, that
I don't think gamers will be willing to do without from now on.

Karl Kuras
Visit Our House the online comic strip!
http://ourhouse.trantornator.com