Karl Kuras wrote:

> vs. Capcom 2).  Also, lets face it, console games were starting to get
> really held down by the lack of things such as harddrives and network cards,
> and there is no reason (or financial sense) in reinventing the wheel when
> these things already exist.

Actually, it makes perfect sense to reinvent these things since one of
the whole points of consoles is to keep costs down so that you can make
money on the hardware.  You can add these things to any new console
design.  The only reason Microsoft is getting away with selling a fairly
powerful PC as a console is because they're losing $150 per sale (they
make money on game licensing, which is why you pretty much can't buy an
X-Box or GameCube without buying a "bundle" deal).  They're also riding
the success of the PC as a consumer device in general; only in the last
two years is something like this even possible with today's consumer
computing power.  Sony is betting the farm on this concept as well;
they're losing something like $70 per console.  Only GameCube makes a
little money on the console hardware itself.  (So did Dreamcast when it
first came out but at $50 nowadays they're a *steal*.)

The concept of making money off of licensing only is significant enough
to note in its own paragraph.  ;-)  For the first time in history,
consoles are being manufactured *to sell at a loss* so that they can
sell the games and try to make money off of licensing.  It's the same
concept behind the world of e-commerce (and the spectacular failure of
many dot-coms in the last 18 months).  That model doesn't work too well;
I'm very curious to see what happens in the next 2 years.  These
licensing costs *are* passed down to the end-user, which is why the PS2
version of Red Faction retails for $49 while the PC version retails for
$39.  I'm not looking forward to paying kRaZy m0n3y ($59 and higher) for
console games.  That flew last decade when the market was smaller but it
doesn't fly in today's world.  Speaking of cost:  Does everyone remember
the first time they saw some N64 games that were $69 when they were
first released?  That travesty of pricing is what happens when you
combine licensing with the high cost of hardware (the carts use up to
32MB of ROM, which is very expensive in terms of manufacturing and
materials).

I'm curious:  Why do you think consoles were getting bogged down by not
having internal hard drives?

Regarding X-Box as being "the most powerful":  A very strong argument
can be made for console hardware being less powerful on paper but more
powerful when specifically used for gaming.  The PS2, GameCube, and
Dreamcast all have "vastly under-powered" graphics subsystems when
compared to a GeForce3 (the nvidia chip inside an X-Box), but the PS2
has a faster bus subsystem between it's dual procs, the graphics
hardware, and the memory controller.  Dreamcast has a PowerVR as its
graphics controller, which does smart tile-based rendering and makes
games like Sonic Adventure possible (when you go to the top of a
building or mountain and look 180 degrees down and you realize you can
see then entire game world below you *and there's no slowdown*.)  Stuff
like intelligent tile-based rendering can "fix" inconsistent coding on
the part of the 3D engine programmer(s).

> (p.s. notice that I make no mention of my terrible spelling error from the
> last post)  :-)

As won't I.  ;-)  Sorry for noting it -- I'm usually not that snotty --
but it just whacked me so hard that I had a hard time blinking my eyes
in unison for a couple of minutes.  ;)