I never understood the reasoning behind needing a "sandalwood box". I'm assuming this was some sort of inside joke at Origin or at least from Lord British. Can you, John (or anyone else), shed some light on this subject?

Only info I have is from a Daikatana interview with... John Romero :)

"Q: So what exactly is all that about the sandalwood box?
JR: Heh... this is a joke that very few people will probably get. You needed to have played Ultima 5 all the way to the end, where you go through the Dungeon DOOM to rescue Lord British from his imprisonment in a mirror by the 3 Shadowlords. When you reach him, he asks if you brought the sandalwood box. If you don't have it, you get to spend eternity with LB in his little room. If you *do* have the box (which is very difficult to attain), the game will end at it should. BTW, the sandalwood box makes an appearance in Ultima 9."

So apparently the box also shows up on Ultima 9 and Daikatana (two games I haven't played much).

--
Pedro R. Quaresma
Salvador Caetano IMVT

Toyota Prius '01, Verdi Steel, 37K km.