Absolutely. I try to keep everything as immaculate as possible (unpunched, uncut, unfolded, no stains on the disk label or manual, you get the idea) but still play the game (bye-bye shrinkwrap). For collecting purposes I'd consider a signed copy as a "variant". Its an original issue item with some limited-edition or hard-to-come-by extra. The one quirk of that analogy is that the quantity of those items in existence can increase at any time so long as the author is still alive. There will never be more than (I think CE or someone said 5,000) pins in the first few copies of Battletech, more Ultima cloth maps, etc. Though Microscopic Space Fleets seem to be in high availability...

While Mt. Drash itself could probably be considered 'exotic', a signed copy would probably be 'unique', especially if it was personalized. The best of both worlds is to have a spare copy.

That said, is that offer for "Wasteland" many moons back still good? Anyway, these all come to mind as titles I've lost entire weeks on:

Moebius (Greg Malone)
Castle Wolfenstien (Silas Warner)
Legacy of the Ancients (John or Chuck Dougherty)
Sword of Kadash (Chris Cole)