On Jan 13, 2004, at 8:10 PM, Dan Chisarick wrote: [Snip]
Now why would you spend extra cash on something just so you can beat it FASTER?!?!? Isn't the whole idea to discover everything yourself? (Note: With the Internet, strategy guides are even more pointless.) I won't even get started on how things in strategy guides today used to come in the game manual not long ago. And yeah conceivably you could apply the same arguments above to strategy guides.

I buy them because I generally run into puzzles that the developer thought were good, but I can't figure out. ;-) Bioware is great at putting in puzzles that make me scratch my head wondering how I was supposed to figure that out (the the-hint-is-obvious-if-you-know-the-answer syndrome). Strategy guides are also much more readable than a screen and work anywhere. (This is the downfall of ebooks.)

In addition sometimes strategy guides have goodies not in the game. The Ultima Collection guide has an annotated poster of the game maps. The new Morrowind Game of the Year guide doesn't have goodies, but it is *huge*. It is a coffee-table size book that pretty much covers the game and the expansions.

The downsides to strategy guides are the fact they don't seem to be complete these days. With the rush to get the strategy guide out the door at the same time as the game the guide can be flat out wrong in places. Or worse, the game developer will pull a Blizzard and revamp the game balance multiple times thus making any charts in the guide useless.

--

Edward Franks