I’m going to register a -1 on this proposal. I appreciate the work that went
into it, but I just don’t think any advantages for the developer community as a
whole weight enough to warrant the change.

> On Jun 23, 2016, at 4:41 AM, Jeremy Pereira via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On 22 Jun 2016, at 17:27, Brandon Knope <bkn...@me.com> wrote:
>>
>> Of course \ is not needed a lot but when it is, *it is inconvenient for
>> *some* people*. I am not making this up. You can cite several other users
>> from this very thread.
>
> That’s the point. Convenient key stroke sequences should be used for things
> you need a lot before things you don’t use a lot.
>

>> I tried showing that it is quite distant on the keyboard from where the
>> user’s hands rest. I tried showing that there are other keys at their finger
>> tips where their hand is usually resting.
>>
>> 1. Do I know every international keyboard layout? No.
>> 2. Are we pretending that \ was picked because it was easier for
>> international users? If I am wrong, I would love to hear more…else let’s not
>> pretend that \ was the optimal key for all.
>
> No, it was picked because it is the escape character for strings. The escape
> character(s) for strings need to be few in number (one is ideal IMO) and
> characters that you aren’t likely to need to type in a string as literals. $
> is a particularly bad choice due to its popularity as a currency symbol.

Changing this would add more syntax, make layers in usage where one character
now exist, and does so without offering a large material advantage, imho.

>> Like I have said repeatedly…I don’t care if \ is removed. At this point we
>> are wasting other people’s time. I have just tried to be a voice for those
>> that find it awkward and inconvenient.
>
> I would challenge the claim that on a US keyboard or a British keyboard, the
> \ key is inconvenient to type. In both cases, you don’t even have to press
> the shift key. If you are a touch typist (I’m not), it’s a slight stretch for
> the right hand, but no more so than the return key or backspace (I use
> backspace *a lot*).

Compared to typing Obj-C' [], which was when was tired “=“ “delete” or “]” “\”,
Swift in general, including \(), is a breeze.