Sorry for the late arrival to this thread. Comments below…

> On Oct 14, 2016, at 3:09 PM, Daniel Dunbar via swift-build-dev
> <swift-build-...@swift.org> wrote:
>
> What this proposal about is in one sense being able to export and share those
> pins.

This is a crucial and clarifying insight. It should be in the proposal! Near
the top.

> 2. Huon, Alexis, and I all agree we should never *inherit* pins by default.

Indeed. Pins should be only be about sharing specific versions within a
development team — not with client packages / apps. What’s pinned in Vegas
stays in Vegas. Publishing pins to other projects would be nonsensical.

> 5. Given that many people agree there are two workflows (we ourselves had
> talked about this a lot when writing the proposal, but didn't put it in), we
> felt it makes sense to consider adding that as an explicit declaration
> *somewhere*.
>
> @Eloy, @Orta: Suppose we had a semantic notion of which packages were
> intended to be "top-level" versus used as a dependency, and we chose our
> defaults accordingly (in this case, we would orient workflows towards pinning
> by default in the top-level case, in the used as a dependency case we would
> orient away from it, e.g. warning you if you checked it in). What would you
> think of such a design?

I’m puzzled. If a package’s pinning does not affect any other package that uses
it, why should the defaults be different? A library will still suffer from all
the “works for me” problems an app might.

Is the rationale that not pinning libraries encourages accidental testing of
new versions of a library’s dependencies as they arrive? Or is there another
rationale for having different defaults?

Cheers, P