On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky <
nevin.brackettrozin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I counter with the rationale for rejecting SE-0119
> <https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution-announce/2016-July/000250.html>,
> namely:
>
> The review of "SE-0119: Remove access modifiers from extensions" ran from
>> July 12...19. The proposal has been *rejected*.
>>
>> The majority of the feedback on this proposal was opposed to it, because
>> it eliminated the useful ability to apply access control to a batch of
>> methods and properties.
>

> In other words, access modifiers are allowed on extensions for the express
> purpose of being applied to the members in that extension. The fact that in
> one of them currently does something *other* than what it says on the tin
> is therefore problematic.

I agree, but after having originally raised the issue, members of the core
team clearly disagreed. Therefore, it's clear that this is going to have to
go through Swift Evolution or not be changed at all. And I also agree with
the notion that further discussions of access modifiers, which will most
certainly lead to a rehash of the whole sordid past, is unhealthy.