> I agree, but after having originally raised the issue, members of the core
> team clearly disagreed. Therefore, it's clear that this is going to have to
> go through Swift Evolution or not be changed at all. And I also agree with
> the notion that further discussions of access modifiers, which will most
> certainly lead to a rehash of the whole sordid past, is unhealthy.
I guess that is the price to pay for stability… I personally am quite sad that
Swift reached that phase already.
But who knows — maybe after some years of collecting legacy, this might be
discussed again in a cleanup release of Swift.

Still, I think the current situation is a pity, as everyone seems to agree that
we ended up with a flawed solution for access control :-(