On 24.02.2009, at 23:17, Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:

> well, the Docsis 3.0 CMTS hardware is quite expensive,
> if not saying dramatically expensive.

> Then, the Docsis provisioning software is also quite expensive,

I guess you simply bought a dead end solution. Good hardware vendors
supply IPv6 out of the box or at least with firmware upgrades. There's
no reason to be expensive

> and I haven't heard of any free ipv6 upgrade from any of the
> software vendors...

Ehm. Cisco does (given you have a maintenance contract) always give
free upgrades. And good ISP's have maintenance because they want to
supply service 24/7.

> then come the modems... well, probably some of them require only the
> firmware upgrade...
>
> in DSL market, it's even worse: the Broadband Forum has not released
> yet any
> ipv6 related document...

Who cares what the broadband forum says. We're in a IP world. There's
100's of RFC's documenting IPv6. I personally run IPv6 natively over a
SHDSL link and it just works. As SHDSL shares the same basic ATM
structure underneath like ADSL, I don't see why anyone could NOT do
IPv6 if he just tries hard enough. IPv6 is at the end not that
different to IPv4. Even with PPP it should work as PPP encapsulates
link frames, not IP packets so you can easily stuff IPv6 packets into
PPP.

> apart from that, yes, the engineers are usually lazy :-)

Its also a management issue. in USA IPv6 is not that common simply
because everyone can get tons of IPv4 addresses too easy (at least in
the past).
But you gotta start sometime. And the time is now. Everyone supports
IPv6 these day and personally I would not choose a BGP4 uplink which
does NOT suport IPv6 (we actually have thrown a IPv4 provider out just
recently and replace it with a IPv6 capable one).