G'day Ben,

>From the viewpoint of a frontend developer, I don't really want this change
committed.

If this change is committed, it will break existing frontends which look
for <!P>, and it produces little or no benefit - <!P> may be invalid, but I
think it will just get ignored.
We already don't really have a good way to generate completely validated
HTML as it is as too many of the existing modules have markup issues (I've
been running across these recently...)

If it is ever a problem for anyone, I think it's easy enough to instruct
them to do the replacement just like everyone already does.

God Bless,
Ben
 For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone,
declares the Lord God; so turn, and live.”
Ezekiel 18:32 (ESV)