On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Vladimir Perić <vlada.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Joachim Durchholz <j...@durchholz.org>
> wrote:
>> Am 27.11.2011 22:50, schrieb Ondřej Čertík:
>>>
>>> I am now trying to convert the Czech translation to a .po file and it
>>> is a lot of work, so I think it's much better if the translation
>>> itself is in a .po file.
>>
>> Hmm... the gettext toolchain is prepared to write your own text extractors.
>> (Those for C source code look for _("..."), for example.)
>
> The Python one works the same, I know GRAMPS uses it (but I've no
> experience with it exactly, I've just translated some things).

It was tricky to get this working with jinja, as the documentation is
scarce. It took me about 4h of work in the morning, but it's done (see
my pull request).

>> If there's a gettext extractor for the markup used in the tutorial, it
>> should be able to automatically extract a skeleton from the English
>> originals.
>> I think an extractor is the first thing you need to reasonably work with
>> gettext. Creating .po files manually is possible, but you'd have to keep
>> them in sync with the markup text manually, which makes the whole effort of
>> using gettext pointless.
>>
>> BTW you do not need a hash. The gettext tools will simply check whether .po
>> and source are in sync.
>
> Yeah, if we do decide to do anything with these, I'm absolutely
> positive we should go for gettext integration as it's a very robust
> system and there's really no reason not to. For the moment, though, I
> of course agree with Ondřej - as long as we have the texts we should
> definitely use them. Lets just add a date-stamp to each file and be
> done with "versioning" them.

+1

> Still, I'd like to make a case again for *not* doing any translating:
> SymPy is, at it's core, a program that's aimed at academia and people
> with at least some sort of math background. Most of these will have
> good knowledge of English, both mathematicians and physics and
> engineers. Yes, I know how much Czech (French, whoever) people like
> their language, but the fact is that English is the language of
> programming, hence also the language of Python and therefore the
> language of SymPy. Whatever we do our methods are always going to be
> called "solve", "transpose" or whatever, and they'll never use
> translated names. Therefore SymPy will never be usable by someone who
> has no knowledge of English and trying to keep translated
> documentation is going to be tedious at best and plain pointless at
> worst.
>
> On the other hand, I of course recognize the importance of
> translation, as we do live in an international word after all. So I
> support completely all efforts to translate the webpage, or our
> interface if we had one (well, SymPy Live can be considered an UI), I
> just don't think it's worthwhile for us to translate our documentation
> or bother at it at all. Aaron himself said the only reason he added
> translation tasks is because Google required it.

I think it's worthy to translate the webpage, and maybe the tutorial.
I don't think it's worthy to translate everything else, given our
current manpower.

Since we are translating the webpage and the tutorial (and nothing
else), I don't see any problem here.

Ondrej