More updates on this: you can now dismiss pull request reviews (ignore
them for the purposes of required reviews).
https://github.com/blog/2265-dismissing-reviews-on-pull-requests.  So
it might be worth trying reenabling required reviews again, as
outdated negative reviews can now be dismissed without requiring the
original reviewer to do so. The only thing it actually forces now is
that someone, other than the PR author, has to review the PR, meaning
self-merges without someone else reviewing are disallowed.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I wrote a (pretty ranty) blog
post about the GitHub reviews feature
https://asmeurer.github.io/blog/posts/github-reviews-gripes/.

Aaron Meurer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6L-X7EN5WbPnUHe3FALb-wShgPiEHeSnNVc_8L3NwDCXA%40mail.gmail.com.