I'll also add that if you want to, we'll give triage permissions to
just about anyone so they can go through and label old issues (triage
permissions give you permissions to label issues). Just ask me or
Oscar.

Aaron Meurer

On Mon, Feb 5, 2024 at 2:25 PM Oscar Benjamin
<oscar.j.benja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There are currently a large number of new contributors opening various
> pull requests and commenting on issues in the SymPy repo. This is
> great to see, and I want to thank everyone who has been contributing.
>
> I would like to highlight though that opening pull requests is not the
> only way to contribute to SymPy. There are many other ways to
> contribute. In fact more important than opening pull requests is
> *reviewing* pull requests and issues. For example if you can see that
> a pull request likely needs some changes, then it is helpful to
> comment on the pull request and suggest what changes are needed until
> it looks ready to merge. I am sure that some of the new contributors
> could tell quite quickly what changes would be needed in many of the
> recently opened pull requests.
>
> In fact one of the most useful things that a relatively new
> contributor can do is to review old issues. The SymPy repo currently
> has over 4000 open issues. Many of these are old and are no longer
> relevant or already fixed. You can often review these issues just by
> testing the code in them. If the issue seems to be fixed then a pull
> request with a test could be opened to close the issue. If you do want
> to review old issues then I suggest using the issue labels to focus on
> a particular area of the code base like "integrals" or "solvers" etc.
>
> This sort of work is actually much more helpful to the project than
> opening pull requests for "easy to fix" issues.
>
> --
> Oscar

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAHVvXxQFLH7L%3DjO8EosasVETJn1fCmWaCvbYp%3DMbxvQmg1pB9Q%40mail.gmail.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6%2B8WUQJa_d%2BATjAekCbRgi4D6XCevJqiCmf0EsieSf8gQ%40mail.gmail.com.
  • [sympy... Oscar Benjamin
    • R... Aaron Meurer
      • ... Shishir Kushwaha
        • ... HARSH KASAT
          • ... Mohit Kumar
      • ... Jason Moore
        • ... Oscar Benjamin
          • ... Shishir Kushwaha
            • ... Mohit Kumar
              • ... 'Shishir Kushwaha 5-Yr IDD: Mathematical Sci.s, IIT(BHU)' via sympy
                • ... Mohit Kumar
      • ... ABHISHEK KUMAR