I have found some old opened issues that should be closed, so, is it a good
idea to open a new PR (which has title like "CLOSED [issue]..." with a
test, if similar tests do not exists) or creating a new conversation here,
IMO PR is a better option. PRs with title like CLOSED [issue].. could be
prioritized?

On Tuesday 6 February 2024 at 17:37:13 UTC+5:30 kushwahas...@gmail.com
wrote:

> Do you have some guidelines you follow or just some general advice for
> people who are willing to do that work . It will also help new contributors
> like me understand what things need to be checked apart from the ones
> mentioned in the developer documentation before I make a pull request .
>
> Shishir
> On Tuesday 6 February 2024 at 17:30:01 UTC+5:30 Oscar wrote:
>
>> Perhaps other things should be mentioned in the GSOC application
>> instructions. I do think that the PR requirement is reasonable as a
>> baseline for GSOC though.
>>
>> To be clear opening pull requests is a good thing. Reviewing pull
>> requests is a lot of work for maintainers though. If lots of people
>> start opening PRs but not doing anything else to help by e.g.
>> reviewing those PRs then we will just have lots of unreviewed PRs
>> which is not so useful. Especially many of these PRs have very basic
>> problems like "a test should be added" or "the test should be for what
>> is actually fixed". These could easily be reviewed by many of the new
>> contributors.
>>
>> This PR is a good example of the work problem that is created by
>> opening PRs rather than reviewing them:
>> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/26117
>>
>> What is needed is for someone to verify that the definition of
>> assoc_legendre as used in SymPy matches with the definition that is
>> used in mpmath. This is partly about reading the docs and partly just
>> a case of doing some numerical checks but it needs to be done
>> systematically paying close attention to any special values and to
>> what SymPy's symbolic evaluation handles. Writing the code and opening
>> the PR without doing that checking leaves all of the work to the
>> reviewer. Anyone else could review it though by doing that checking.
>>
>> --
>> Oscar
>>
>> On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 at 07:59, Jason Moore <moore...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Note that we get lots of PRs at this time because we require GSoC
>> applicants to have at least one merged PR. We could encourage the other
>> activities if we allow those to fulfill the requirement for the GSoC
>> application.
>> >
>> > Jason

>> various
>> contributing.

>> the
>> that
>> until

>> want
>> on
>> etc.

>> send an email to sympy+un...@googlegroups.com.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAHVvXxQFLH7L%3DjO8EosasVETJn1fCmWaCvbYp%3DMbxvQmg1pB9Q%40mail.gmail.com.

>> an email to sympy+un...@googlegroups.com.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6%2B8WUQJa_d%2BATjAekCbRgi4D6XCevJqiCmf0EsieSf8gQ%40mail.gmail.com.
>>

>> > --
>> an email to sympy+un...@googlegroups.com.
> [...]

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/a8251f51-7852-4128-ae68-5e85e589b44en%40googlegroups.com.
  • [sympy... Oscar Benjamin
    • R... Aaron Meurer
      • ... Shishir Kushwaha
        • ... HARSH KASAT
          • ... Mohit Kumar
      • ... Jason Moore
        • ... Oscar Benjamin
          • ... Shishir Kushwaha
            • ... Mohit Kumar
              • ... 'Shishir Kushwaha 5-Yr IDD: Mathematical Sci.s, IIT(BHU)' via sympy
                • ... Mohit Kumar
      • ... ABHISHEK KUMAR