Hi jcome!
welcome to the coding!

I think that the code shown is to obtain the local name of the layer.
The layer nature doesn't change when the canvas parameter null, inline
or exported. In all the cases the local name of the layer is "Group"
Other thing is what should the parameter canvas show when it is null,
inline or exported. That is solved in other section of code IIRC.
Cheers!

2012/10/21 Yu Chen <jco...@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> I am doing it.
>

> 2012/5/30 Zelgadis <ksee.zelga...@gmail.com>
>>
>> Encapsulate -> Group (icon needs to be reworked: box or folder)
>> Paste Canvas layer -> Group layer (icon needs to be reworked: same as
>> above)
>

> For "Paste Canvas" and "Inline Canvas", I have one question, should we
> expose the difference of them or just use "Group" on UI? Please take a look
> at the below code.
>

> ================================
> String
> Layer_PasteCanvas::get_local_name()const
> {
>         if(!canvas)     return _("Pasted Canvas");
>         if(canvas->is_inline()) return _("Inline Canvas");
>         if(canvas->get_root()==get_canvas()->get_root()) return '[' +
> canvas->get_id() + ']';
>
>         return '[' + canvas->get_file_name() + ']';
> }

Carlos
http://synfig.org