Richard:

I've read most of what you site and what I wrote in no way "contradicts
virtually all published assessments of Kenyan training practices. I have
also discussed this with many Kenyan runners, from Kip Keino to Ibrahim
Hussein to Wilson Kipketer. They all laugh at the gross generalization that
Kenyans are great runners because they ran to school as children, run longer
mileage in training, and train at higher intensity.

³I lived right next door to school,² laughs Wilson Kipketer, world 800-meter
record holder, dismissing such cookie-cutter explanations. ³I walked, nice
and slow.² Some kids ran to school, some didnıt, he says, but itıs not why
we succeed.

And for every Kenyan monster-miler, there are others, like Kipketer, who
gets along on less than thirty. ³Training regimens are as varied in Kenya as
any where in the world,² notes Colm OıConnell, coach at St. Patrickıs Iten,
the famous private school and running factory in the Great Rift Valley that
turned out Kipketer and other Kenyan greats. OıConnell eschews the
mega-training so common among runners in Europe and North America who have
failed so miserably in bottling the Kenyan running miracle.

As for empirical evidence, much has been collected by Bengt Saltin and Tim
Noakes who consider such myth making (Kenyans train harder as the total
explanation for their success) as pretty silly.

Could Kenyan training methods be a factor in the success of some of their
great athletes? Of course. Is there one clear pattern of training that
almost all Kenyans ascribe to? Of course not? Even if there was, would that
explain the magnitude of Kenyan success, considering that many of their
training principles have been adopted, and even magnified, by athletes from
other countries? Of course not!!

So...I believe we'll have to just end this with the reality -- the modest
claim-- the facile explanations that training is the key to Kenyan success
is far too simplistic (and erroneous in key ways) to explain the phenemenon.
It's obviously bio-cultural, an assertion which no reasonable observer, let
alone a scientist, would dispute.

--
Jon Entine
RuffRun