In a message dated 8/19/01 7:41:29 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Here's hoping when/if El Guerrouj contests the 5000 final in Paris 2003
that any other Moroccans who may be in the race will be running for
themselves! >>

Though the rules seem to apply only to lapped runners providing pacing
assistance (Bob Hersh?), I feel that El Guerrouj and Kaouch should have been
disqualified for violating the spirit of "fair play", especially since
officials were aware of what happened in 1999. You know the old saying, "Fool
me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". The IAAF should be
embarrassed by what happened and should send out a warning that any further
occurrences will be dealt with harshly.

Walt Murphy