"B. Kunnath" wrote:

> Alan,
> Great analysis! A little unfair to ElG to use the "championship rabbit"
> excuse as his winning strategy. After all in a rabbited race, anyone can use
> the services of the said rabbit. If all the runners know that ElG is the man
> to beat, and they use the rabbit as much as he does, I dont see any extra
> advantage he may have over anyone else..except the rabbit!
Well, as I answered in another post, El G wants the fast pace to lessen
the chance that he'll be outkicked, so he is getting an advantage; I
think he should pay for that advantage by leading, rather than accepting
his teammate's sacrifice.

> Radcliffe may have benefitted if she had tucked in behind the Ethiopian
> runners for a few laps and made them share the work load..it was a tactical
> mistake.
I think her case is a little bit different. She's not the best 10K
runner, as El G is the best 1500m runner. Tulu ran a 60+ last lap in
Sydney; that's not just an issue of basic speed. Tulu was much fresher
than Radcliffe after the same pace. She's just a better 10K runner than
Radcliffe.
Cheers,
Alan Shank