On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:19 PM, John F. Eldredge <j...@jfeldredge.com> wrote:
> So, landuse=self_storage would probably be the way to tag them, using out
> convention of underscores as separators.  "Self-storage" is also the standard
> USA term for such facilities.  From my personal experience, they typically
> have several different sizes of enclosed spaces available, some opening
> directly to the outdoors (as in the photo) and some off interior hallways.

Why landuse? It's generally going to be located inside a larger
landuse area of commercial or industrial, and could be as small as a
standard office building. There is some use of
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.de/tags/amenity=storage but I don't know
if any (except for the ones I tagged) are used for this type of
facility.