On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:04:11 +1100, Steve Bennett
<stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I think "storage" and "self-storage" imply different things. The
>former would be warehousing etc for business customers, and the latter
>for the general public.
>
>That said, I'd be inclined to go with amenity=storage for both, with
>some subtag like self_storage=yes where appropriate. We should have
>less top-level tags.

I had been inclined to avoid amenity= because of the volume of past comments on other proposals, concerned about the number of "amenity" values. But amenity=storage makes sense. Because so many self-storage facilities are businesses, owned by different companies, landuse= is less appropriate. Amenity=storage would lie within landuse=commercial or, in some instances landuse=industrial, with operator= or name= for the firm, and self_storage=yes. Internal driveways, parking, buildings, and external fences and gates could be mapped if desired.

Ed