n Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Ilya Zverev <zve...@textual.ru> wrote:

I was thinking about something similar excepted one important thing :
I think that many contributors don't like to break the way in many
small segments just for turning lanes. I think that adding a simple
node when the turning lane appears would be enought. To know until
where the turning_lane is valid, we can use a similar naming as the
highway *_link (remember the secondary_link, tertiary_link, etc) e.g.
trunk_turnlanes:left:forward=1 meaning that from this point we have a
left turning lane till the next intersection with a trunk highway
('forward' or 'backward' being relative to the osm way direction as
usual). For sure, the naming could be improved or changed like
turnlanes:<next highway category>:<left or right>:<forward or
backward>=<1..x> . The tag lanes should be reserved for the straight
forward lanes.
As a result, we just add a node for a minor information and do not
damage the existing highways. Probably a similar schema will be
developed to locate the traffic lights (with nodes on the highway) if
it is not already the case.

Pieren