On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Ilya Zverev <zve...@textual.ru> wrote:
> So, are you suggesting to use :forward/backward on nodes? I don't think that
> would go well. It is worse that using relations, since the node is
> implicitly related with a) direction of a way; b) the fact that way is not
> split at that point; c) the highway tag value of some other way far ahead.

We already have many tags related to the direction of the way. Your
point a) is supported by OSM editors (reversing the direction should
modify the tag); b) if someone split the way just at that point, it's
because he wants to put the turnlanes on the way, not on the point.
That's ok and is valid if the turnway is just between two
intersections.; c) if the highway value is wrong, then the tag is
wrong. We cannot avoid mistakes. A QA tool could check the distance
between the node and the expected intersection and raise a warning if
it exceeds a certain number.

> The big problem is that mappers think splitting ways is damaging them. Why?

It's just painful to work with many small segments (to add or rename
tags or use route relations). People editing on such areas know what I
mean.

Pieren