Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 26. April 2012 20:03 schrieb Jason Cunningham
> <jamicu...@googlemail.com>:
> > Major problem: You've haven't adequately dealt with the lanes=1.5
> issue.
> > You've suggested something that can't solve the issue, but simply
> looks like
> > an attempt to cleanse it from the lanes tag and forget about it.
>

> IMHO it would be a good idea to remove fractional lanes amounts and
> forget about them. They are too subjective.
>
> What do you think of lanes=3.5? I have an example here:
>
> http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=en&ll=41.899274,12.464333&spn=0.008497,0.021136&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.899391,12.464289&panoid=O8BHrnM_gTAW2XQUWqxcXg&cbp=12,353.6,,0,4.57
>
> Not sure, how many lanes these are, could be 5 or even 5.5? Depends on
> the car widths and the experience of the drivers:
>
> http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=en&ll=41.876836,12.481943&spn=0.000378,0.00066&t=h&z=21
>
> if we start entering fractional lanes counts, mapping will get more
> complicated, with no real benefit: Every street has an unambiguous
> width, which is a more helpful information to determine how many
> vehicles can pass at the same time, lanes=1.5 doesn't really help you,
> it will always remain unclear which width is the street.
>
> cheers,
> Martin

For that matter, even if the number of lanes remains constant, the actual width
of the street, and of the individual lanes, may vary from point to point.
Routing software that takes into account road width needs to retrieve and check
the width for the entire route.

--
John F. Eldredge --  j...@jfeldredge.com
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to