There are three cases in NL, all referred to as "spitsstrook" (literally, rush-hour lane):

1) the hard shoulder is sometimes opened to traffic, creating an extra lane on the right 2) the left-most lane is sometimes open (if traffic is heavier), and sometimes closed (if the extra capacity is not needed). When it is closed, it is not designated as an "emergency" lane, but as emergency vehicles can do what they like anyway, they don't hesitate to use it. I am not sure if a normal driver is allowed to "park" there in case of a breakdown. Even if it is allowed, I would most definitely advise against it... 3) there is one case of a reversible centre lane which is either closed, open in one direction (morning peak) or open in the other direction (evening peak). Of course there are barriers on both sides to insulate it from the main carriageways on either side.

Colin