Am 13.09.2012 um 21:30 schrieb "John F. Eldredge" <j...@jfeldredge.com>:

> At a guess, "open stable" probably refers to a shelter that has permanently
> open doorways

No, but a stable/shelter is part of an open stable.
An open stable is characterised by
* a large open-air area
* one or more shelters, accessible all the time
* feeding stations
* watering places

This whole area is an open stable. It's important that the different structures
(shelter, feeding stations, ...) are not close to each other, so that the
horses are forced to go more often and not stand still all day.

Obviously there is no tag for it ;-) So I'll try to find some english speaking
horse experts which may confirm or deny if this kind of area is in fact called
open stable in english.

Assuming it is the correct term: what would be the most fitting key? I would
use landuse.

BTW: paddock is one of the most horrible terms in english. Not even all native
speakers agree with each other what I means. But that's a different story ;-)

Martin