On 6 January 2014 08:16, Wolfgang Hinsch <osm-lis...@ivkasogis.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, den 06.01.2014, 09:44 +0100 schrieb BGNO BGNO:
> > Isn't smoothness also based on some form of interpretation?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > BGNO

 I think that the problem lies less with the interpretation but with the
scope of the interpretation.

The smothness tag is very specific which limits the variability of the
possible interpretations.

On the other hand trafficability makes a very generic statement and as a
consequence the interpretations may vary a lot. This is also the problem
with the tracktype tag discussed in the other thread. It makes a very
generic statement about the road and as such interpretations do vary
significantly.

Although I like the idea of describing the trafficability of a highway, I
would not recommend introducing new tags which make such generic
assessments. I think it would be better to break down the proposed
trafficability onto more specific tags each with a narrow scope of
interpretation.