2014/1/13 Kytömaa Lauri <lauri.kyto...@aalto.fi>

> Country differences again. Around here (Finland) all signs(* refer to just
> vehicles registered as a bus, even those that allow buses and taxis on
> their own lanes. Effectively nobody would try to use a "personal bus"
> anyway, because the extra running costs, costly and time consuming extra
> driver's licence, and difficulties in finding parking spaces would totally
> kill any time gains one could get from using bus lanes. I'm quite certain
> there are other countries, too, where the general reference to "bus" means
> and should mean all bus vehicles.

I think we have to differentiate between the local laws and how they can be
represented with osm tags. If there are signs that apply to all buses (i.e.
to the bus vehicle class), and I am sure many countries do have those
signs, than a simple "bus"-tag would not catch it, because it is reserved
to public transport busses
(at least this is what the wiki says). This was the reason I introduced
"tourist_bus" some years ago, because I also had the problem that some
signs were applying to all bus vehicles.

> Until October 2009 psv used to be described in the wiki with "e.g.
> busses", not "i.e. busses" and the GB dwellers had to repeatedly explain
> that it's a term they use to mean both buses and taxis, with nobody stating
> "just official transit buses on their route". At the moment, as the
> descriptions are, there's no tag that states "vehicles registered as a
> bus", some have narrowed the 'bus' tag down to denote "a bus acting as a
> public service vehicle" only.

psv reads "public service vehicle", clearly a use type. "e.g. busses" is
correct as is "i.e. busses and taxis" (but the latter might forget some
other kind of psv). Still this clearly doesn't include any buses (vehicle
class, usually vehicles with more than 8+1 seats) but only those that are
in public service.

cheers,
Martin