I have interpreted psv (public service VEHICLE), bus and taxi as
    vehicle categories in the past, but never required these keys in my
    area.
    So for me an empty taxi is allowed on taxi=yes.
it is not a question whether it is empty or not (it might be going to
pick up someone) but whether it is in service.

"in service" was (and is) not required by the definition & description of the "psv" tag or the "taxi". Only in "bus" it was mixed in ("acting as a public service").

There is no way to tag "taxi in service" so far in OSM, only "taxi" (as a car category).

So I do not agree that "taxi" and "psv" belong to the "by-use" group.

I strongly suggest to move "psv", "bus" and "taxi" back to the original place in the wiki!

    There are two issues, nobody has probably paid attention on so far:
    1) "public service" is not "public transport", as intended by the
    creators of the key. So if people make a road cleaning truck or an
    ambulance a PSV, then this was maybe not intended, but a result of
    ambiguous documentation/naming.
if you look at wikipedia for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSV
this get's redirected to bus, so my guess is, that the common usage of
this term is the same than the definition in OSM and not including all
kind of "public" vehicles.

Most mappers are not native English speakers. We can only guess what they really understand and have understood. But I don't think it is an intuitive tag.

The source of defining psv as bus+taxi (taxi as "public service" is questionable by the way) is probably UK: https://www.gov.uk/psv-operator-licences

But that does not make the tags intuitive. Non-intuitive tags sadly don't work well, no matter how good the wiki-documentation is...

    2) Introduce value "public_transport"
    omnibus=no & bus=yes can also be expressed as omnibus=public_transport
IMHO we can stick to psv.

not clear to me. psv for what?

Separating "bus" as vehicle category from "by-use" - and putting it into a value like - is not just more consistent: It is more flexible (I can distinguish between taxi in service and any taxi the same way), it easier to understand what omnibus=public_transport means, compared to the current "bus=yes".

     3) Depreciate"psv" (or broaden the meaning to all "public service"
because of the JOSM turn restriction plugin? What about changing that
plugin?

no, the argument for depreciation was: There is no need for this artificial group: Grouping taxi (both "in service" as well as not in service) with only those buses acting as public transport. Taxi access and bus access are distinct things. No ambiguous, poorly understood (here the poor plug-in just confirms that PSV is not well-understood) short-cut like "psv" is needed. If taxi and bus can access, why not bus=* & taxi=*?

    4) Depreciate "tourist_bus": There is no longer the need for tagging
    both ("bus=yes" and "tourist_bus=yes") in the case any bus category
    is meant. It can be expressed by "omnibus=yes" now.
not sure. I introduced this key because of a sign that said explicitly:
"tourist_bus=no".

OK, didn't know the history about a sign.

I thought it was introduced because "bus" was not covering all buses: Without tourist_bus it is impossible to tag that no buses are allowed. bus=no is not sufficient, because it was restricted to "acting as public transport".

In the current schema accurate mappers must map http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vorschriftszeichen_7f.svg as bus=no *and* as tourist_bus=no. I would bet many mappers haven't done this, because "bus" is misunderstood.

By the way:
The key name "tourist_bus" is also non-intuitive, not every non-public transport bus is a "tourist bus".

martinq