I was thinking the same thing, but couldn't put it into words properly. If
40% of noexit tags are on ways, this is meaningful, not some sort of
accident. FWIW I also prefer to put the tag on the way, I don't care about
the gratification that it gets rendered with a nifty icon in JOSM when put
on a node.
Also, the way I understand this tag, it applies to motor vehicles, not to
bicycles or pedestrians. If the road continues as a path for cyclists or
pedestrians, I'd still give the way a noexit tag, as that is what I see on
our Belgian roads.

Polyglot