I always thought the meaning of noexit=yes was very clear. Obviously there
is some confusion I was not aware of. If a highway ends with no way to
continue, the final node is tagged with noexit=yes. I only use it if I am
sure there is no way forward from the end of the particular way. As someone
who started working with OSM in order to improve my Garmin's GPS maps it
adds no special rendering of the node AFAIK. Whether Garmin's autorouting
algorithm notices the tag is unknown to me, however, as a mapper working in
an area where other mappers are active, I know that when I see that tag
there is no need to revisit that highway to "see where it goes".

I'm just guessing now when trying to understand why someone would tag an
entire way with noexit. In the United States there is often a sign at the
entrance to a street that has no outlet. It sometimes says "NO OUTLET" or
"DEAD END". Maybe these people are tagging the way because they expect
someday to see a "sign" or symbol on their maps at the beginning of the way
rather than the end?

Regards,
Dave

Dave Swarthout