Martin Koppenhoefer:

> admin_level has no real "definition" in the wiki what it is supposed to
> express: the key link redirects to boundary=administrative:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:admin_level#admin_level

> Now there is also a key "capital" that can tell the administrative
> importance for a place (it will contain the admin_level of the highest
> administrative entity (=lowest admin level number) for which a place is the
> administration centre), so no real need to have an admin_level with
> duplicating values on these places as well. I think capital is a better key
> for places then "admin_level", as any place will "have" lots of
> admin_levels (e.g. 2 when it is inside a country) so semantically it
> doesn't make a lot of sense.

First, this discussion it seemed was about removing admin_level tags,
and not straightening up the tagging schema. I posted my reply because
I had seen the tag removed from Berlin, not replaced by another. Left
there is capital=yes tag, which is sometimes used along with
admin_level=* ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:capital ).

Having one tag instead of two to look at for admin_level value would
be nice, but that should invoke some kind of a proposal (like when we
[almost] bulk-replaced all building=entrance with entrance=yes). I'll
support this decision no matter to which tag it comes to, capital or
admin_level. But please, for now do not remove existing tags and do
not put warnings in the wiki to not do something without providing
a good alternative.

IZ