I surely could remove the warning I've added to the wiki, but please
first consider that, from the ~330000 nodes with a place=* tag that
you mentioned, only 63762 (19%) are combined with an admin_level tag.
I've mentioned [1] many of important cities (in fact, secondary,
tertiary cities, right next to the capital city in a listing sorted by
population) that do not have the admin_level tag.

I'm being neutral in this debate, the only thing I care about is
coming up with a reasonable recommendation for the Brazilian
community. Add - and why - or not add - and why not.

[1] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2014-May/017506.html

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Ilya Zverev <zve...@textual.ru> wrote:
> Martin Koppenhoefer:
>
>> admin_level has no real "definition" in the wiki what it is supposed to
>> express: the key link redirects to boundary=administrative:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:admin_level#admin_level

>> Now there is also a key "capital" that can tell the administrative
>> importance for a place (it will contain the admin_level of the highest
>> administrative entity (=lowest admin level number) for which a place is the
>> administration centre), so no real need to have an admin_level with
>> duplicating values on these places as well. I think capital is a better key
>> for places then "admin_level", as any place will "have" lots of
>> admin_levels (e.g. 2 when it is inside a country) so semantically it
>> doesn't make a lot of sense.
>
> First, this discussion it seemed was about removing admin_level tags,
> and not straightening up the tagging schema. I posted my reply because
> I had seen the tag removed from Berlin, not replaced by another. Left
> there is capital=yes tag, which is sometimes used along with
> admin_level=* ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:capital ).
>
> Having one tag instead of two to look at for admin_level value would
> be nice, but that should invoke some kind of a proposal (like when we
> [almost] bulk-replaced all building=entrance with entrance=yes). I'll
> support this decision no matter to which tag it comes to, capital or
> admin_level. But please, for now do not remove existing tags and do
> not put warnings in the wiki to not do something without providing
> a good alternative.
>

> IZ

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409