Please explain why admin_level on place nodes harms the database, or
refrain from removing it. Thanks.

I actually put it back in Berlin after I took a 2nd closer look at Germany. Which then actually revealed that all our state capitals are tagged with admin_level=6 when they should be 4 as far as i understand if you tag them at all...

Which then actually made me rethink and discover a possible problem when tagging the node.

If you tag Berlin admin_level=2 do you assume it also holds admin_level=4? 6? (Then you realize that with Berlin you actually have a special situation, because it is a city state. But that wasn't even what I was going for.)

Now let's say things in Germany would have went a bit different 20 years ago...
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_on_the_Capital_of_Germany).

Bonn would have become the capital of Germany not Berlin. Now I tag Bonn with admin_level=2. The problem is that Bonn is located in North Rhine-Westphalia whose capital is Düsseldorf. So how do I now know that Bonn isn't the capital of NRW? Do I have to tag other capitals with admin_level=2,4 in order to show that they are country and state capitals and admin_level=2 only stands for country capital? Am I going to have to tag nodes with admin_level=2,4,5,6,8... in order to be able to tag e.g. Bonn as admin_level=2,5,6,8...? (Germany has no lvl 3) Because there is no "exclude" option.

Andi