replying to tagging, it's the only one of these lists i'm on

On 5/19/14 12:12 PM, André Pirard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is about OSM ticket  https://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/5163:
>> The rendering of highway=path and highway=track is barely
>> distinguishable.
>> For example, many huge width highway=residential continue to an extra
>> thin =track and then invisibly change to a =path.
>> Just like on my National Geographic maps, I suppose that
>> highway=track should be drawn with a distinguishable width something
>> like half that of residential highways.
> On 2014-05-19 10:18, OpenStreetMap wrote :
>>  I don't think path and track are barely distinguishable.
> Ahem! Am I blind, is it just me or what?

there have been a number of good replies. i'll add in something i don't
think
others have addressed...

the default mapnik rendering on openstreetmap.org will never, ever be
able to
satisfy everyone. there's a reason why OSM has a strong architecture of
map database, a well defined api/data interchange format, and multiple
data consumers (renderers, indexes, routing engines, etc.)

the track and path issue you identify is a subtle one, and like others,
i suggest
experimenting with potential improvements and if you get something better
going, present it. "make this better" is kind of an open ended, what
does better
mean anyway sort of deal.

richard

--