Hello everyone,

>From time to time there's a discussion in the Brazilian community on
how to tag an "urban perimeter". In Brazil, this is a legally defined
area with some defined characteristics, such as:
- different kind and level of environmental impact (and therefore
different environmental policies)
- slightly different taxation system for residents
- different maxspeed on highways (mostly determined by being inside or
outside of this perimeter)

One user has suggested that we use settlement=yes (a proposed tag
still not voted:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Urban_settlements)
for that purpose. I'd like to hear your opinions and suggestions.

Several Brazilian users have mapped the entire urban extension (not
exactly the same as the legally defined perimeter) in small cities and
tagged it using landuse=residential, which is probably wrong in most
cases and can be seen as tagging for the renderer. I believe they're
probably expecting the same visual effect one gets from Google Maps
and Here Maps: both draw a faint grey background over the urban area
and is somewhat distinguishable at the border of most cities.
(Whichever tag we go with, we would then ask rendering engine
developers to replicate that visual effect.)

--
Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"Nullius in verba."