> Hello everyone,
>
> From time to time there's a discussion in the Brazilian community on
> how to tag an "urban perimeter". In Brazil, this is a legally defined
> area with some defined characteristics, such as:
> - different kind and level of environmental impact (and therefore
> different environmental policies)
> - slightly different taxation system for residents
> - different maxspeed on highways (mostly determined by being inside or
> outside of this perimeter)
>
> One user has suggested that we use settlement=yes (a proposed tag
> still not voted:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Urban_settlements)
> for that purpose. I'd like to hear your opinions and suggestions.
>
> Several Brazilian users have mapped the entire urban extension (not
> exactly the same as the legally defined perimeter) in small cities and
> tagged it using landuse=residential, which is probably wrong in most
> cases and can be seen as tagging for the renderer. I believe they're
> probably expecting the same visual effect one gets from Google Maps
> and Here Maps: both draw a faint grey background over the urban area
> and is somewhat distinguishable at the border of most cities.
> (Whichever tag we go with, we would then ask rendering engine
> developers to replicate that visual effect.)

I don't know in Brazil, but in Italy or Germany the maxspeed for built-up
areas does not correspond perfectly with the settlement extension but is
indeed yet another thing to consider. It is basically defined by street
signs (start / end of a settlement according to the driving laws), and we
map these signs on nodes aside the highway with traffic_sign=city_limit
(name=*) and split the highway there and map the speed limit as maxspeed=50
(or whatever your default is) and source:maxspeed=IT:urban (or DE:urban
etc.)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key%3Asource%3Amaxspeed  (we add those
source:maxspeed tags so we could hypothetically adjust the speedlimit in
case the law was changed, therefore we also suggest to map
source:maxspeed=sign if there is an additional sign which confirms the
default).

For settlements (in urbanism / settlement geographic terms) my suggestion
is to use place=* on an area.

Please do not use landuse=residential for huge areas with all kind of
landuses inside.

cheers,
Martin