I don't know much about how the rendering system parses the tags. I thought t
would be non-trivial for it to work out how to display signal icons without a
new tag, so I thought a new tag might be necessary, and  gave my suggestion.

I'm aware the current system is in use a lot for simple 1 node intersections,
but as the number of complex intersections increases (?micro-mapping?), so will
the need for a solution.

Javbw