So far, highway=traffic_signal is only defined for nodes and there are
> only few ways and fewer relations.

Correct.

> Also in favour of separation I would prefer to use junction=* with
> name=* and only highway=traffic_signal with name if it is only a single
> light (e.g. the case with a named junction and different separate names
> for the lights)
>
> This way we could add an additional junction=* to the nodes with named
> traffic_signal and once all lights are tagged separately only use
> junction=* for ways.
> Additionally we have a better hint for the renderer what to render and
> diversify between a named junction and single named traffic_signals.
>
> cu fly

Hm, I am not sure if I understand you correctly. You want to use
junction=yes not on nodes anymore, but only on areas – and change the
currently existing cases in OSM?

If so, I would disagree here. We have a yet existing tagging that works
well for both – named junctions and names traffic signals – as long as this
are simple junctions like
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Junction_yes_example_1.png My
proposal keeps the existing tagging for simple junctions – and extends it
also to complex junctions. I am not convinced in changing the current
tagging practice for simple junctions and require changing a lot of yet
existing data in OSM. Currently I do not know of any situation where we
have at the same place on the ground a different junction name and a
different traffic signal name. It seems to me a barely theoretical problem.
Maybe that does not mean that such a situation is impossible to exist.
However, we should create our tagging scheme starting from the situation on
the ground, and this seems to be either junction names or traffic signal
names, but not both things at the same time. Replace an existing simple
practice with a new complicate practice just to solve a problem that does
probably not exist on the ground?

However, I think it is nevertheless a good idea to think about this case. I
would propose to leave the existing tagging for simple intersections as it
is (with tagging on a node). Moreover, for the rare case that we have a
junction and a traffic signal with different names, one of them could be
represented by an area around the other one (and same thing on complex
junctions/traffic signal systems). Thus, we keep a door open to tag two
different names, just for the case that sometime we really need it.
Nevertheless, we do not break compatibility with the current practice, and
we do not make things unnecessarily complicate for the real-world cases.

Lukas