On 5/12/2014 2:46 AM, tagging-requ...@openstreetmap.org wrote:
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 13:22:15 +0100
From: Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
        <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Water tap (Kotya
        Karapetyan)

The main choice for water tap is between man_made = water_tap or amenity
= water_tap. I have no firm idea on either choice. If I have too now I'd
chose man_made=water_tap. Fits with man_made=water_well .. though not with
amenity=shower and I'm certain tehre are other examples.

+1 to man_made namespace, no need to deprecate amenity=drinking_water (80K+
uses, a lot of data consumers)

But the tag for the purity of the water should be named so that it cannot
be confused with some other meaning. And be secondary to the facility ..
much as 'surface=paved' is to other tags (eg highway).
man_made=water_tap
water_purity=non-portable

not sure if "purity" is a good choice. Completely "pure" water is not
potable (distilled water), you'd die if you drank too much (OK, you'll also
die when drinking too much "normal" water [1], but the second "too much" is
much more than the first).

Cheers,
Martin

? On the Keep It Simple Stupid theory?

water_potable = yes/no
If not known you don't tag. Then it will some default action possibly based on
location. Some may want tags 'boil', 'filter','filter+boil' ...

I know a place with a distilled water tap. It also has a deionised water tap.
Not open to the public. And I'm not mapping it.