On 24/01/2015, Andreas Goss <andi...@t-online.de> wrote:
> I really don't get this. If you are able to add house numbers, why would
> you be likely to fuck up street names? If at all seeing addr:street when
> on the ground is good, because you can be sure it's you are adding it to
> the right building and can also fix possible street errors. It's not
> like every street relation is perfect. I also don't get what's
> cumbersome of having a line for street name on your mobile device editor.

We've already detailed some breakage scenarios for both
associatedStreet and addr:street, so I'll just focus on typos and
mobile devices.

Typos are easy to make. The more times you type a particular street
name, the more likely you are to have made a typo. In that respect, he
editor's autocomplete feature is a mixed blessing, because it can pick
the wrong name without you noticing (that's actually worse than a
plain typo, because QA tools are less likely to spot it).

Typing on a mobile device is even worse : the keyboard is smaller,
there is less feedback, it reacts more slowly, the key layout varies
and probably isn't in your muscle memory, positioning the cursor can
be an exercise in frustration, the outdoor conditions may be a
hindrance, etc.

The less I type the better. As for verifying that all the correct
houses correspond to a particular street, I'll take JOSM's 2 clicks
(click a member then click the relation) any day over some method
based on searching by typing the street name (which is what you need
with addr:street), thank you very much.

YMMV. I'm using JOSM and Vespucci.