The
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Extend_camp_site
is quite a comprehensive proposal. One small thing I noticed in that one is
that waterway=water_point should be changed to amenity=water_point, to be
consistent with current OSM usage.

I guess the only issue I have with the what Tod's proposing is the use of
the British term "pitch" to describe an individual site. It's confusing
because the term is already used to describe large playing fields, as in
soccer and baseball. To use it here to describe an individual camp_site in
an area with many other sites is a bit counterintuitive to me.  I would
prefer tourism=campground or leisure=campground for the whole camping area
and then campground=camp_site for individual areas it contains. But that's
my American-centric view; I can live with the set of tags for individual
pitches if that's what most people want.

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 6:22 AM, Tod Fitch <t...@fitchdesign.com> wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2015, at 2:50 PM, David Bannon wrote:
>

> > Subject Was - RFD Camp ground Kitchens and their fittings
> >
> > On Sun, 2015-02-01 at 09:47 -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> >>
> >> Another one: caravan sites.  There's not any way to cleanly
> >> distinguish one at a state park that, save for the campground host,
> >> doesn't allow long term stays, to ones that allow permanent
> >> accommodation and rent trailers (such as the one I live in), to ones
> >> that are exclusively long term only .....
> >
> > Yes Paul, agree.  Lets look at a small set of additional tags to add to
> > tourism=camp_site ?   How about (with typical data to start the
> > disussion)-
> >
> > max_stay=2     (and define it as days)
> > min_stay=2     (again, days)
> > shade=yes
> > defined_sites=yes
> >
> > They sound easy, now how to define the 'type' of campground. You mention
> > State Park and commercial, I'd add 'free', common term in Oz and means
> > more than no monetary charge. I reckon we could spend some time getting
> > agreement on that list. Warin's advice was to avoid a big package.
> > Hmm....
> >
> > I'd also like to add mention of
> >
> > amenity=toilets
> > fee=yes/no
> >
> > To the camp_site page, they are already defined elsewhere but are needed
> > here. Again, non-controversial ?
> >

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Extend_camp_site
> attempted this some years ago but it appears to have grown too big and it
> run out of steam.
> >
> > David
> >

> I would like to have some of the items on Extend_camp_site page brought
> onto the main camp_site page. Specifically the site/pitch specific tags at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extend_camp_site#Tagging_of_individual_pitches
>
> While they are not widely used, I see a fairly big geographical
> distribution which implies that they might be understood and universal
> enough to warrant better mention.
>
> And, of course, I used them myself when mapping a couple of U.S. Forest
> Service campgrounds. :)
>
> -Tod

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska