Hi,

to mention a major drawback of a forum IMHO:
I can read a mailinglist offline. Fetch mails to my notebook once, read
and answer while being offline and sending mails from outgoing folder as
one batch late when online again.

With a forum I would have to open any unread thread beforehand, write my
answer and leave the browser tab open to manually post later when online
again.

Therefore I prefer the mailing list for some usecases.

As a second thing I think is a good thing that discussions can fork in
several different directions - if done right.
As long as it stays basically the same topic this is easy on
mailinglists, while for switching the topic one is forced to decide
between opening a new (disconnected) topic or staying below the old one,
while a dual approach would be right (like starting a new thread while
linking it to the initiating mail from the old one).

At a Forum it's the same issue here, but easier to start a new thread
and link to the old one than with mails.

In an ideal world we would have one discussion platform that can be used
by a mail client as well as by a web forum software. I don't know if
anything like that exists, but basically it's the same concept, whether
it's mail with reply-to headers or forum posts with some kind of a
parent-post link.

regards
Peter