On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 11:28 PM, Dan S <danstowell+...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use Stack Exchange a lot and it's great, very well designed for its
> purpose. BUT Stack Exchange is not designed for community decision
> making. There are tools/forums that are actually designed for that
> purpose.
>
> Also I don't think Stack Exchange themselves would want to host an OSM
> tagging area, it's not what they're about. Maybe someone has in mind a
> stack-exchange-like system rather than Stack Exchange itself. In fact
> <https://help.openstreetmap.org/> uses <http://www.osqa.net/> which is
> a Stack Exchange clone. But I repeat, it's not designed for
> consensus/decision-making, it's designed for Q&A, which has
> superficial similarities (voting etc) but it's not the same thing.

Dan, all true.
1) Can you point in the direction of the tools you mean ("designed for that
purpose")? Do you know a good one?
2) I know that SE as not designed for lengthy discussions. (It provides the
meta and chat though.) I was thinking more in the direction of proposing a
tag like a question. Then people can edit/comment/vote. It's a very
different approach, but I am not sure we need the current one with so much
text and noise.
3) My main point was actually not to say that SE is the best solution, but
to emphasize to the forum proponents that forums are far from ideal too.

Cheers,
Kotya