I wouldn't deprecate the wikipedia tags either. They give a human readable
form of what is hopefully the same item on WD.

I only hope that we won't stop at adding only the WP tags. Also I don't
think anybody is adding name:etymology:wikipedia tags, but we do have
name:etymology:wikidata

So a usecase:

Say you want to locate all the streets and other objects named after 17th
century Dutch painters, worldwide.

You could start by finding the painters from wikidata, then use the
Overpass API to do a regular expression search with all the resulting
Q-numbers.

If we on the OSM side have been meticulous about adding
name:etymology:wikidata to all those objects that could show a nice result.
No idea how useful it would be, of course...

I did something like that for Guido Gezelle:

https://nl.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guido_Gezelle&section=11#Tastbare_gedenktekens

http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/9Aa

Note that looking for Gezelle on its own, would also find street names with
the Dutch word Gezellen (companions [archaic]) in it. So the wikidata
identifier is more robust (on condition the contributors who added the
wikidata tags verified their work, of course). And it's a lot of work to do
this for all artists/writers/ etc, but then, so is creating a map from
scratch.

Polyglot